The City of Atlantic Beach provides once weekly solid waste removal, including garbage, recycling, yard waste, appliances and tires to over 5,000 customers within the corporate limits of the City. The City is divided into five zones, with collections of garbage, recycling and yard waste occurring on the same day. Refer to the Garbage, Recycling and Yard Waste Pickup Schedule for days of pick up, or contact the Public Works Department at (904) 247-5834 for further clarification.
The City’s solid waste contractor is Advanced Disposal Services. They may be contacted by phone at (904) 737-7900 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Most areas north of Dutton Island Road are served by contractors hired by the City of Jacksonville and can be reached at (904) 630-CITY(2489).
Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day are the only no pick up holidays. Routes will be pushed back by one day following a holiday. For example, if Christmas Day is Thursday and your normal service day is Thursday, you will be serviced on Friday. Customers who are normally serviced on Friday of that week will be serviced on Saturday.
Household Garbage - please help us provide efficient, safe and timely service to all residents by doing the following:
- Place all household garbage toters curbside within 5' of the traveled portion of the street by 7:00am on your designated pickup day.
- Household garbage must be in City provided toters (maximum weight limit is 150 pounds). New residents (inside City limits) who find they do not have an Atlantic Beach garbage toter at their location may call the Public Works Department at (904) 247-5834 to request delivery. Advanced Disposal will deliver a toter within approximately one week.
- Excess waste must be contained in boxes or sealed plastic bags weighing 40 pounds or less.
- Although toters remain the property of the City, residents are encouraged to neatly stencil house numbers (2” max height) on the containers for ease of identification. Contact the Public Works Department at (904) 247-5834 for replacement of broken toters.
- Furniture, TVs, microwaves, bedding, water softeners (salt removed), gas grills (without tanks) may be set out with household garbage next to the garbage toter on your pickup day.
- Propane gas tanks must be empty and have valves removed.
- Separate garbage from yard waste for collection.
- Do not place garbage on or in front of vacant lots for pick up. Garbage is only picked up at properties approved for occupancy.
- Garbage must not be placed over water or gas meters, cable/phone boxes, under low hanging tree limbs or utility wires, or near mailboxes.
- Do not place medical waste in garbage toters.
- Wrap all broken glass in newspaper to seal for safety and place only in garbage toters.
- Vehicle parts will not be picked up - contact a local scrap dealer for disposal.
Recycling - please help us provide efficient, safe and timely service to all residents by doing the following:
- Place all recycling carts curbside within 5' of the traveled portion of the street by 7:00am on your designated pickup day. Recycling carts require a 3' clearance around the cart to allow the automated truck to access the cart for pick up.
- New residents (inside City limits) who find they do not have an Atlantic Beach recycling cart at their location may call the Public Works Department at (904) 247-5834 to request delivery. Advanced Disposal will deliver a cart within approximately one week.
- Each home will receive one 65 gallon recycling cart at no cost to residents. Use the recycling cart only for recycling (no household garbage or yard waste). Only recyclables placed in the recycling cart will be picked up.
Items that are accepted for recycling:
- Plastic Numbers: 1, 2, 4, 5, 7 (place caps in garbage and rinse out containers)
- Glass bottles and jars (place caps in garbage and rinse out containers)
- Aluminum, metal and steel containers (rinse out containers)
- Paper (includes newspapers, magazines, inserts, catalogs, telephone books and soft cover books)
- Brown paper bags
- Cardboard and fiber board (cut down to 2' x 3' in size)
- Corrugated cardboard (must be able to free-fall from cart when emptied)
- Boxboard (cereal or food boxes - remove plastic or wax paper liners)
- Milk cartons and juice boxes (rinse out containers)
Note: For all items, labels do not need to be removed.
Items that are NOT accepted for recycling:
- Ceramics and Dishes
- Food Waste
- Hazardous Waste or their Containers
- Light Bulbs
- Window Glass
- Hard Cover Books
- Plastic Number 3 (PVC)
- Syringes or Medical Waste
- Aerosol Containers
- Propane Tanks
- Motor oil, pool chemicals, pesticide or fertilizer bottles
- Plastic Grocery Bags
Yard Waste - please help us provide efficient, safe and timely service to all residents by doing the following:
Lawn, tree and other vegetative debris is picked up curbside once a week. All yard waste is to be behind the curb or edge of pavement. Please do not block stormwater flow by putting yard debris in the gutter or on the street. Green waste (grass clippings and leaves, shrub trimmings, tree limbs, palm fronds and Christmas trees) is delivered to the City of Jacksonville Mulch Site at the old Kings Road landfill.
- Containerized yard waste should not be placed at the curb until after 6:00pm the evening before scheduled pickup.
- Grass clippings and leaves must be in open/uncovered cans of 20-48 gallon in size, or in sealed plastic bags and must not exceed 40 pounds.
- All limbs must be in lengths 5' or less and 6' or less in diameter. No item or stump may weigh more than 40 pounds.
- Separate yard waste from household garbage for collection. Yard waste will not be picked up if it is mixed with household garbage or construction debris.
- Yard waste must not be placed over water or gas meters, cable/phone boxes, under low hanging tree limbs or utility wires, or near mailboxes.
- Collection of yard waste is limited to 5 cubic yards once weekly only. This is approximately the size of a standard pickup truck load per week.
- Yard debris may not be placed on vacant lots, City street medians or parks. These are considered to be illegal dumps, are subject to a fine, and delay the pick-up of debris.
- Items that are NOT yard waste include: fencing, landscape timbers, garden hoses, dirt, planters, flower pots and yard decorations. Yard waste will not be picked up if mixed with these items.
Green waste produced by a Landscape Contractor, Tree Surgeon, or other tree removal operation must be disposed of by the Contractor and is not included within the requirements of the City’s Sanitation Contractor’s responsibility.
It is unlawful to deposit yard trash upon any adjoining lot or premises, whether vacant or improved, occupied or unoccupied, or upon any other lot or premises, or a street roadway or in the drainage gutter or drainage swale or ditch, plaza, alley, road median or park, or in any canal, waterway, lake or pool within the City.
Contractors or homeowners may require a permit from the Tree Conservation Board authorizing the removal of protected trees. For questions concerning permit requirements, contact the Building Department at (904) 247-5826.
Construction Debris / Building Materials
Collection of construction debris and/or building materials is limited to 1 cubic yard per week, not to exceed 5' in length (filling approximately two construction wheelbarrows) and only if the work was performed by the homeowner. Construction debris/building materials is collected on your pick up day. It must be placed next to the household garbage toter. Do not mix household garbage, recycling, and yard waste with construction debris/building materials.
- Lumber must be cut into pieces 5' or less in length. Exposed nails and screws must be removed or flattened.
- Debris and/or material must be in a container that weighs less than 40 pounds.
- Concrete will not be picked up - contact a Contractor for disposal.
- Contractors are required to dispose of debris resulting from paid home improvements.
Appliances / Tires
Appliances and tires are picked up every Tuesday and Friday only and must be scheduled. To schedule a pick up, contact the Public Works Department at (904) 247-5834 to be placed on the pick up list.
Appliances must be empty and placed curbside (but out of the street) the night before. Any refrigerator, freezer, washer, dryer, or similar airtight unit having an interior storage capacity of 1.5 cubic feet or more must have the door removed.
Water heaters must be completely drained of all water.
Residents may place two scrap tires at a time (no more than six per year), off the rims, at the curb in front of their house. To schedule a pick up, contact the Public Works Department at (904) 247-5834.
Dead Animal Removal
The Public Works Department (904-247-5834) removes dead animals from City streets and City right-of-way. The City does not remove dead animals from yards or from woods near a yard.
Hazardous Material Disposal
The City of Jacksonville holds an annual collection of hazardous material at the Beaches. Collection days will be announced in the City newsletter and in the local press.
Oil based paint, chemicals and other hazardous waste including rechargeable alkaline and regular duty batteries, photographic chemicals, drain cleaners, pool chemicals, pesticides, antifreeze and paint thinner must be taken to:
Duval County Hazardous Waste
2675 Commonwealth Avenue
Jacksonville, FL 32202
Hours of Operation: Mon. - Sat., 8:30am to 4:30pm; Closed Sun.
Disposal of Oil
Used oil is prohibited by law in landfills. Never pour used motor oil in the garbage, on the ground or down storm drains. It can poison drinking water. One gallon of improperly disposed waste oil could pollute one million gallons of fresh water. Many local oil retailers accept used motor oil for recycling from residents.
Disposal of Paint
· Latex Paint: Remove the lid, let the paint dry out (to speed up the drying process kitty litter or sand can be added to the can to absorb the paint). Place next to garbage toter after the paint has hardened, without replacing the lid on the paint can.
· Oil Based Paint: Must be taken to the Duval County Hazardous Waste Disposal Facility.